What’s in the new Uwharrie Lakes Region Trail Guide? With over 200 more pages than the first edition, the second edition includes more trail areas as well as a number of new trails. Key features such as trail history notes, detailed maps, elevation profile and mileage charts, and maps/profiles for popular trips using multiple trails can still be found inside.
The largest set of “new” trails are the equestrian trails in the Badin Lake Area. Many of these trails existed in a “renegade” fashion at the time the first edition was published, but they are now signed and better maintained.
Significant progress has been made in protecting access to the full historic length of the Uwharrie Trail and making it available to hikers again. If you thought the Uwharrie Trail was just 20 miles long, this guide can enlighten you. Details are included for the full route that is nearly twice that long!
Several other areas with enough trail for a nice half-day of hiking are now included, such as Albemarle City Lake Park, Boone’s Cave Park, and the NC Zoological Park.
A PDF of the table of contents pages is available, and the chapters are listed below.
Finding the Uwharrie Lakes Region 14
How To Use This Guidebook 18
Responsible Use Guidelines 24
Safety and Security Concerns 30
Albemarle City Lake Park 33
- Albemarle City Lake Park Trails 36
Badin Lake Recreation Area 46
- Badin Lake Hiking Trails 55
- Badin Lake Equestrian Trails 61
- Badin Lake Equestrian Trips 134
- Badin Lake OHV Trails 148
- Badin Lake OHV Trips 180
- Badin Lake Bike Trips 192
Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area 203
- Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Trails 208
- Birkhead Mountains Wilderness Area Trips 230
Boone’s Cave Park 246
- Boone’s Cave Park Trails 250
- Boone’s Cave Park Trips 274
Denson’s Creek Area 282
- Denson’s Creek Area Trails 285
- Denson’s Creek Area Trips 296
Morris Mountain Area 304
- Morris Mountain Area Trails 309
- Morris Mountain Area Trips 323
Morrow Mountain State Park 330
- Morrow Mountain State Park Trails 337
- Morrow Mountain State Park Trips 370
NC Zoological Park 384
- NC Zoo Park Trails 388
Uwharrie Trail 400
- Uwharrie Trail Sections 408
Wood Run Area 448
- Wood Run Area Trails 454
- Wood Run Area Trips 482
Volunteer Opportunities 504
Regional Information 510
Quick Reference Tables 513
A PDF of the table of contents pages is also available.
If you don’t have a copy of the new edition of the Uwharrie Lakes Region Trail Guide yet, you can order your copy now!